Space Heater Leads to Fire at Deerfield Home, Displaces Family
Blaze on Susan Lane forces family from home as nine other communities send firefighters to help.
A space heater played a role igniting a fire that displaced a Deerfield family from their Susan Lane home Thursday evening as the Deerfield Bannockburn Fire Protection District extinguished the blaze in 10 minutes, according to Chief Ian Kazian.
“We feel the origin of the fire was in the bedroom near a space heater,” Kazian said. At this point he is not sure if the heater ignited itself, cast off a spark causing the blaze or played a different role.
The fire was confined to a second floor bedroom but the entire top story sustained heat and smoke damage making the home inhabitable, according to Kazian. The department learned of the fire at 7:50 p.m. Thursday, was there in five minutes and had the blaze out 10 minutes later.
“The family was home and saw some lights flicker,” Kazian said. “They went to the second floor, saw the fire, called 911 and got out.” The family and its dog all fled without injury.
In bitter winter weather, Kazian thinks people using space heaters for added warmth should also take extra precautions to avoid fire. “During extreme cold people should exercise extra care when using space heaters,” he said.
Firefighters from Highland Park, Lake Forest, Northbrook, Lincolnshire-Riverwoods, Wheeling, Vernon Hills, Long Grove, Buffalo Grove and Highwood all sent units to assist.