Regional Police Report: Man Charged with Killing Stepson; Three Charged in Armed Robbery

The following police-related items were pulled from area Patches. When criminal charges are referenced they should not be considered a conviction.

By Brian Slupski


Man Charged with Killing Stepson

Woodstock Police on Monday arrested Victor Lopez, 46, of 1780 Sheila St., Woodstock, and charged him with first degree murder, the Northwest Herald reports. 

Police said Lopez stabbed his stepson, Mark A. Medina, 34, to death at a home in the 1900 block of Sheila St., Woodstock. Lopez had been at a hospital receiving treatment for facial injuries, and police took him from there to the jail, the Herald reports. 

McHenry County Coroner Anne Majewski said Medina, who was found dead Saturday, Sept. 14, in the home, died from multiple stab and incised wounds to his chest and upper body.

Toxicology results are pending. 


Three Charged in Naperville RadioShack Armed Robbery

Three Chicago men have been charged in connection with an armed robbery of a RadioShack in northeast Naperville last month. 

Christopher Nesbit, 44, Dennis Clark, 23, and 19-year-old Jalin Parks were arrested by Naperville police after allegedly holding up a RadioShack, 1223 E. Ogden Ave., at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 12, according to police.  

Police said the three men entered the store armed with a handgun and demanded an unknown amount of merchandise from employees before fleeing the store, according to the Naperville Police Department.


Man Convicted of Beating Man to Death, Stealing $10

A Hazel Crest man was convicted Thursday of first-degree murder in the death of John Costulas, an Evanston man whom he hit in the head and robbed of $10 in September 2011.

Jury members at the Cook County Circuit Court in Skokie convicted Brandon L. Hinton, 28, in a trial Thursday morning; he will be sentenced on Oct. 22, according to a release from the Evanston police department. 

Hinton was walking in the 500 block of Howard Street at 5:20 a.m. on Sept. 2, 2011, when he attacked John Costulas, hitting violently him in the head and causing him to fall to the ground, according to police. Hinton then took $10 from Costulas’ pocket, and walked away, leaving Costulas bleeding and unconscious, police said. 

Costulas was hospitalized in a coma for a week following the attack, and eventually died from his injuries on Sept. 10, according to police.

Patch reports on law enforcement activity, using information provided by official agencies. Persons charged with a crime, or issued a citation for violation of a local ordinance, are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »