A properly working smoke alarm woke a Deerfield resident today in the 700 block of Jonquil Terrace saving her life from a fire, according to Deerfield Bannockburn Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Ray Larson.
Fire broke out on the second floor of the duplex residence with enough damage to temporarily displace the resident. “She wasn’t able to put the fire out herself,” Larson said. “I think a neighbor made the 911 call. We put the fire out.”
The victim was transported to Highland Park Hospital for observation but did not sustain injuries, according to Larson. The firefighters also saved the victim’s cat. Larson was pleased with the working alarm.
“The good news is a working smoke alarm work her and saved her life,” Larson said.Get local news in a daily email from Patch. It's like getting a free newspaper. Learn more